Dorps & towns
At the beginning of the 19th century, when freedom of religion was introduced, Jews were able to come to South Africa legally. Small numbers of Jews arrived from Britain and Germany, and the first Hebrew congregation was established in Cape Town in 1841.
Between the end of the 19th century and 1930, large numbers of Jews began to arrive from Lithuania and Latvia. Their contribution changed the character of South African communities. Currently, the largest Jewish centers in South Africa are Johannesburg and Cape Town.