Lady Grey (Eastern Cape)
Lady Grey was founded in 1858 on the farm Waaihoek and lies at the foot of the Witteberge in one of the most mountainous areas in South Africa.
Lady Grey had a very small Jewish community that established itself from the mid-1860s with the arrival of Louis Norden.
There were no formal Jewish institutions but there is a Jewish cemetery with four graves within the general cemetery. Most of the Jews in the town were shopkeepers.
A notable resident was Sarah Glueck who was the postmistress of Lady Grey and Herschel from 1897.
She was probably the first woman to have entered the civil service and was South Africa’s first qualified postmistress. She was honoured in South Africa and Britain for her bravery during the Anglo-Boer War, when she defied the Boers and showed her loyalty to the British.
In 1936 there were 21 Jews living in Lady Grey and two at Herschel; in 1943 there were 14. By 1951 the census reported two Jews in Lady Grey, but a survey by the South African Jewish Board of Deputies in 1953 stated that there were nine Jews. By 1964, there were no Jews left.